In response to the enormous challenges of urbanization in the 21st century, Global Forum on Human Settlements (GFHS) launched the International Green Model City ("IGMC") Initiative at the United Nations Headquarters in April 2011, in close collaboration with various international organizations including UNEP and national as well as local governments concerned.
The Global Forum on Human Settlements (GFHS) is a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit organization, legally chartered in the State of New York, USA. GFHS has been granted the Special Consultative Status with ECOSOC, and is an Associate Partner of World Urban Campaign by UN-Habitat. Also, GFHS is a member of both United Nations Global Compact and the United Nations Department of Public Information (UNDPI). GFHS is committed to sustainable cities and human settlements for all. It has accomplished a number of cooperation projects with the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat).
Mission: Committed to Sustainable Cities and Human Settlements for All
1. Convene annual conference of Global Forum on Human Settlements and other relevant seminars; and provide a world platform for dialogue on Sustainable city and human settlements;
2. Promote the agendas of the United Nations on Sustainable Development at local level, and enhance communication and cooperation between different regions in improving the conditions of cities and human settlements;
3. Research and develop relevant standard systems for sustainable cities and human settlements. Promote the low-carbon "International Green Model City" Initiative and explore a new urbanization developing mode;
4. Make professional reports to provide references for policy makers and the industry;
5. Issue “Sustainable Cities and Human Settlements Awards” ( originally “Global Human Settlements Awards” ), commending governments, enterprises, scenic spots, communities, organizations and individuals that have made outstanding achievements;
6. Edit and publish the World Best Practices Magazine and other publications, etc.